Enigma State (Ten Questions with...) Exclusive interview

Nath Stealey better known as Enigma State is an English producer who has released his tracks on labels such as Pure Trance, Pure Trance Neon, Borderline, Covert Recordings and Premier League Recordings. He has released two amazing vinyl records with Trance Classics. His concept is to turn back the clock to the pre-VST, pre-sample pack era, when trance producers used old-school gear to create their music. A very interesting approach from this producer. Nath shared a few things about his work on Trance music production. I invite you to an interview conducted exclusively for Visions Of Trance.

1. What is trance music to you?

Trance to me has kinda become a way of life. I don't think there's a day that goes by without listening to it. For me, Trance is the entire build of a track and as you're listening youre hearing the elements come in and out that builds you up.


https://premierleague.bandcamp.com/album/you-put-me-in-heaven-with-your-touch-2020


2. How do you perceive the state of the current trance music scene?

I feel that Trance over the last couple of years has really turned a corner. Artists are starting to sound different, and push themselves into new sounds and styles. I feel we was long overdue that change but it's very present today.


https://borderline.lnk.to/s-bahn?fbclid=IwY2xjawEsYsxleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHaK4DPjoGCUGzW1hjctdm5_jcPvT1_57T1cOtuLK9sgvMAhe2paiTl1xvw_aem_wLgL6tdCSaZencaklkZZ0Q


https://enigmastate.bandcamp.com/album/transolar

3. What are your goals in producing trance music?

Personally, I don't have any goals in particular. Ive been producing for over 20 years but it was always mostly for myself, and then I started the Enigma State project, and initially it was just for me to express my love of that old style of Trance and I just wanted to do something that was authentic to the style of Trance I enjoyed growing up.

I didn't plan to get to where I am now, but 4 years later I've had two sold out vinyl releases, remixes for some big names, played at Luminosity and upcoming at ADE in October. 

I never thought or planned when I started this project though to have achieved all that, or to be on the same line up as one of my Trance heroes, Ferry Corsten.



4. Who was your inspiration to start producing trance music?

Well I've just mentioned Ferry, but my ultimate Trance inspiration is Lange. He had a very distinct way of producing and I've studied his music in such detail that it always fascinated me how he got the output he did with such limitations for the time. I've had a couple brief chats asking him about some of the hardware he used and there wasn't very much to it.

5. Which song are you most proud of and why?

I have two songs, first it's 'In My Fantasy'. It was my first vinyl release which is special in itself for today's Trance scene, but also it featured the vocals from both my daughters. It's given me something I can forever look back at and see that achievement as something that I also done with my daughter's.



https://enigmastate.bandcamp.com/album/in-my-fantasy-enigmatic


https://enigmastate.bandcamp.com/album/sacred-art-state-of-mind

Secondly it has to be the collaboration with Sean Tyas called 'Lately'. That tracks featured in the Beatport chart for 8 weeks but also was played by Armin on his ASOT radio show, and was picked for the A State Of Trance Ibiza 2024 compilation album and on top of that In Search Of Sunrise compilation. 


https://www.blackholerecordings.com/music/lately/

So it's a great achievement and happy to have achieved that with one of my close friends.

6. Will your future releases be collaborations with other artists? Are you more into solo productions?

I'm open to collaborations, but I will only do it where I have had some interaction with the person and made some kind of connection. Collaborations for me can't be done on someone just saying "let's collaborate" without gaining some kind of connection which will ultimately be reflected in the music.

My main focus is my solo work and vinyl releases though.

I do prefer to work on my own, mostly because my way of producing is very different to the majority and I would imagine it would frustrate anyone in the studio with me.




7. What inspires you to create trance music?

Anything pre-2008 is always going to inspire me. That's the basis of my music and I'll listen to classics and sometimes will decided that's what I want to do next. Most of my music doesn't sound like it's come from the same template of any of my other tracks because I always try to make each track unique.



8. What hardware and software do you use to create trance music?

My DAW is Cubase 13 and I try to centre my productions with the use of Hardware synths, drums and samples rather than software.

I do use modern software synths like Diva and Spire etc but I tend to focus on the hardware which is a big part of my sound and style.

I also have an old Atari 1040 STE with Cubase 3 on it which I use from time to time.


https://www.blackholerecordings.com/music/echoes-of-silence/


https://premierleague.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-nova

9. How do you perceive the influence of social media on the career development of a trance artist?

I feel social media is a double edged sword. It's the only way to put music out to the masses but everyone is doing it so it just becomes a little bit as the same as everyone else.


https://enigmastate.bandcamp.com/album/voices-enigma-state-remix


10. Finally, what would you like to say to your fans?

Just a huge thank you for all the support over the last few years, I didn't think I would have gained a following like I have and without those people supporting me and my projects and vinyl releases I don't think I'd be doing this interview so just a big thank you.





POPULAR

Wavetraxx (Five Questions with...) Exclusive Interview

DJ Xboy (Ten Questions with...) Exclusive interview

Clara Yates (Five Questions with...) Exclusive Interview