Clara Yates (Five Questions with...) Exclusive Interview


Clara Yates is a leading British singer of the trance scene. Her beautiful voice found its way to recognized record labels, where she collaborated with the largest producers of trance music. Collaborations with artists such as Giuseppe Ottaviani, Richard Durand, Talla 2XLC, Ralphie B and Ferry Tayle are the best example of this. Clara gave lengthy answers about her work. She is the right person in the right place. The trance scene needs such personalities. Thanks for your time. I invite you to read the interview conducted only for Visions Of Trance.


1. What is trance music to you?

Trance music to me is being 15 again. its a long drive with my father and 2 brothers. Its also meeting your friends down the phone box after school, thinking of your first crush that never knew you existed. Its also dancing on the sofa when that iconic song 'Coming on Strong' by Signum from Kevin & Perry Go Large came on. It also took away the difficulies from all the bullying and pyshical abuse that I used to cop on a daily basis at school. It also helped me exceed at martial arts, gymnastics and tricking. The list goes on and on.

Lets face it, we don't want to grow up. We all want to remain youthful forever. I see it as a healthy mindset.

Trance music isn't just music. Its a feeling of love,hate,loss,grief,rejection, excitement. All the feelings that come with life. it has the power to bring out your inner child, all those memories and feelings from the past somehow follow you.

The 00's for me were the best years growing up and being able to take these feelings and hold on to them at 36 is a sense of comfort that nobody will ever be able to take away from me.



2. What motives you to create new lyrics and vocals in trance music?

I don't think of them as lyrics on a page, I don't just write lyrics for the sake of writing lyrics otherwise what is the point? Theres singing a song, then there's singing a song, telling your story and meaning it. Listeners can always tell the difference if you don't connect with your lyrics. I don't want to be the type of song writer that writes about something meaningless. 

I don't just write lyrics, I share a story. The majority of my songs I write each take a piece of me everytime. It could be about the death of a parent, Thanking your loved one, anxiety and the battles that you struggle with inside your mind. Being friendzoned after giving your heart and soul to a person. 

What really motivates me is writing songs is to give listeners a message to say 'hey, life sucks sometimes' but you will get through it no matter what.

When I recieve messages from supporters such as, 'you've helped me so much', "I used to have pain all over my body but when I listen to you, the pain goes away''. "I griefed just a little less than I did yesterday" means so much to me and feels so rewarding. It makes me think, yeah, this is why I write music.

Putting a smile on my fathers face is also another reason that motivates me as well as he is a huge trance fan. If my father is smiling and proud of me then I have nothing else to really achieve.

I also wanted to thank Robert Myatt who has written a lot of songs with me. We work so well as a team. When you write by yourself all the time you find yourself getting stuck in a routine that your lyrics can get a little bland. When we put our heads down we manage to keep things fresh and create a lot of magic.

I will never take all the credit. I have managed to work with some amazing song writers over the past 8 years. They play a huge part in some of my releases such as Robert Myatt, Jenny Svensson, Aeron Komila & Alina Renae. 


3. Which of your songs do you feel is your best work and why?

I like to feel like every release of mine is a work of art. Every release has blood, sweat and tears into it.

If I was going to pick a personal favorite I would have to pick my track 'Why' with Giuseppe Ottaviani. It will always remain one of my treasures as it's dedicated to my mother Andrea who sadly took her life in 2006. This song was extremely difficult to record without crying. Giuseppe turned this one into something so positive that everytime I listen to it, I just remember the way she was. A beautiful lady who always had a smile on her face and most importantly a woman who did her very best to be a mother despite her depression.


4. How and when did you realise that lending your voice to trance music was for you?

The moment I realised was when I didn't have to strain my voice. Yes I can sing in many styles such as jazz, rock, opera, soul, R&B but it made me realise that I was trying to be something I wasn't. I remember having a full length discussion with Assaf who goes by the artist name AVIRA now and is doing amazing things!. When I was in the process of recording 'Incomplete' he told me, stop trying to sound like other artists and just be yourself, find your own voice. When people hear you, they'll say 'yes thats Clara' You need to be at a point where your vocal just flows without even trying and must come naturally. 

I really listened to what he said and took his advice. After a month of stress and tears I finally found my voice. It wasn't easy let me assure you.

Ever since 'Incomplete' I just realised it was my calling. I haven't looked back since.


5. You have collaborated with many recognized artists of the trance scene. Is there anyone else you would like to create a track with?

Thank you so much! I try not to look at it as a greedy mindset like 'this one is done,what's next?' Each release has been a privelege. I even go back to the same producers just because we work so well together. 

Its all about the right place and time for example I really wanted to work with Richard Durand 4 years ago but never managed to find a right clique. I was never dissapointed as I really do believe there is a reason for everything so I never took it personally. When I sent 'Million Stars' to Arny at Black Hole at the end of 2022 I was quite surprised when he told me Richard would like to work on this one.

I believe when a good moment comes, just take the time to enjoy it and bask in it. Don't be greedy as music isn't a race. It's a marathon.

I always try to limit myself to around 6-7 releases per year as I don't want people to grow tired of me. If you're releasing over 10 - 13 songs a year and always in the spotlight, the novelty wears off. Its about taking your time and remembering it's about quality not quantity.

There are a few producers that I have tried over the years such as Aly & Fila, Marcus Schulz, Craig Connely, Ruben de Ronde, Tritonal, Gareth Emery & so many more just because I love their unique sounds and most importanly they resonate with me so much. I know that one day I might just impress them :)

I always advise vocalists to always try to work with people who will bring out the best in your vocals, bring out the feelings, bring out the love and to remember that when you recieve rejection, it's nothing personal so just keep trying.

If you're chasing somebody just because of the name and you don't really know much about them and their sound, you will end up shooting yourself in the foot. This scene can be very selfish and people will take whatever they can get for their own personal gain and profile. If you always remember that projects are always shared and you can bring out the best in each other, you can go a long way.





My TOP 10 fav tracks:

Ana Criado - Vulnerable (Denis Kenzo Remix)

Tritonal feat Rosie Darling - Never Be The Same

Assaf & Cassandra Grey - All of You

Alexanda Popov feat Johnathan Mendelson - World like this

Lange - Fireflies

Haliene - Walk Through Walls (Marcus Schulz Remix)

Aly & Fila - We Control The Sunlight

Sarah Lynn - At The End of Every Journey (Jorn Van Deynhoven Remix)

BIXX - Yes I can

Ayla - Ayla


>>CLICK PHOTO BELOW TO HEAR CLARA YATES VERY OWN TOP 10 TRACKS!<<





POPULAR

Wavetraxx (Five Questions with...) Exclusive Interview

C-Systems (Five Questions with...) Exclusive Interview & Guest Mix